Re: patch to make emacs proceed if DISPLAY is unreachable

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: patch to make emacs proceed if DISPLAY is unreachable
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:31:27 +0100

Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:
Hi: In the past, I've had to administer various machines with NFS mounted homedirs, and from time to time when su'ing I've been bitten by the fact
that altough DISPLAY was set, emacs couldn't read my .Xauthority
file (as it was on NHS). I've had a look at the code, and figure oud what's
going on, (I think), and put together this patch to make emacs proceed
as if -nw had been supplied if DISPLAY is unreachable for some reason.

Hmm, I prefer the old behaviour. I often set DISPLAY to a remote machine but forget to fix .Xauthority. I don't want -nw to happen then, I just want Emacs to tell me it can not connect to that display.

        Jan D.