Re: address@hidden: just try once to create ~/.emacs.d]

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: address@hidden: just try once to create ~/.emacs.d]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:10:27 +0100

[My apologies if the message references in the header are not right;
 I read emacs-devel in digest mode.]

Dan Jacobson wrote:

Odd, sometimes I can reproduce this, minutes later I can't.
today. But user nobody should have no way to write things to change
the state of the system, except in /tmp. And ii didn't write there.
emacs -q didn't reproduce it, but then -q or not, sometime didn't
reproduce it.  Anyway, it takes about a minute to show up, ^X^B will
show the *Messages* buffer grown.  -q shouldn't matter as ~/nobody has
no .emacs as it is /.

I tried to reproduce your problem with both Emacs 21 and Emacs CVS.
It seems that the error message is triggered when Emacs tries to
auto-save.  Enabling debug-on-error gives the backtrace

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Creating directory" "permission denied"
"//.emacs.d")
  make-directory-internal("//.emacs.d")
  make-directory("//.emacs.d/auto-save-list/" t)

when typing "M-x do-auto-save".  The good news is that it happened only
under Emacs 21, but not in the current development version which will
hopefully be released this year.