Re: gdb-ui

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-ui
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:24:50 +1300

 > > I attach a patch that deals with this problem by making the user decide
 > > if input is for GDB or the inferior (<return> queues the input (for GDB),
 > > <C-return> sends it immediately (for the program being debugged)).  Its
 > > not attractive but I think it is necessary if the GUD buffer is used for
 > > input to both.
 >
 > But how does a user know whether to hit RET or C-M-RET at any
 > given moment?

If the program is expecting input it normally prompts the user with output e.g

  Enter number of iterations:

If the program has no input, the user doesn't need to do anything new and the
change just helps to prevent gdb-ui getting confused.

 >  If he made the wrong choice, isn't it too late to correct it anyway?

It depends on what he typed and whether he pressed RET or C-M-RET by mistake.
Currently if a user enters input while the program is still running, gdb-ui
tries to recover with gdb-resync.

 > In any case:  Please don't use C-return ...
 > CUA-mode binds C-return globally to toggle rectangle marking.
 >
 > C-M-return would be ok...

C-return and C-M-return don't seem to be available on a terminal anyway.
Could I just use M-return?