Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values

From: Andrew M. Scott
Subject: Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:50:00 -0700

    Chong> "Andrew M. Scott" <address@hidden> writes:
    >> % emacs &
    >>
    >> where: custom-file is "/eng/eng10/amscott1/.emacs-customize"
    >> user-init-file is "/eng/eng10/amscott1/.emacs"
    >>
    >> C-h C-f ~/.mailrc
    >>
    >> After answering "!" in the *Local Variables* buffer,
    >>
    >> C-h v safe-local-variable-values returns nil
    >>
    >> FYI, both my ~/.emacs and ~/.emacs-customize are normally
    >> write-protected (under RCS), but even when checked out and
    >> running the same commands after emacs invocation, I don't see
    >> changes to safe-local-variables-values nor any files.

    Chong> That is not my experience. Please send a precise test case.
    Chong> For instance, with an empty user init file, I do

    Chong>   echo "-*- foo: 1 -*-" > foo.txt emacs foo.txt ! C-h v
    Chong>   safe-local-variable-values RET

    Chong>   -| safe-local-variable-values is a variable defined in
    Chong>   `files.el'.
    Chong>      Its value is ((foo . 1))

Testcase: The issue seems to be with using the alternate Local
Variables section at the end of a file:

% mv .mailrc .mailrc.bak
% echo "# Local Variables:" >! .mailrc
% echo "# after-save-hook: ((lambda () (build-mail-aliases)))" >> .mailrc
% echo "# End:" >> .mailrc

% cat .mailrc
# Local Variables:
# after-save-hook: ((lambda () (build-mail-aliases)))
# End:

% emacs .mailrc  and answer the prompt with "!"

C-h v safe-local-variable-values returns nil

safe-local-variable-values is a variable defined in `files.el'.
Its value is nil
             ^^^^ this is wrong

C-h v after-save-hook

after-save-hook is a variable defined in `files.el'.
Its value is
((lambda nil
     (build-mail-aliases)))

Local in buffer .mailrc; global value is
(vm-unblock-new-mail fast-lock-save-cache-after-save-file write-exec-hook)

Documentation:
Normal hook that is run after a buffer is saved to its file.

Andy Scott