Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Clarification on using safe-local-variable-values
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:50:53 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> # after-save-hook: ((lambda () (build-mail-aliases)))
>
>> That is working as intended.  Emacs does not save after-save-hook
>> because that is a risky local variable, and those are never saved.
>
> I don't quite understand...
>
> If the user has said that it is safe to use that specific value
> of that variable, why can't you save that value?  The reason why
> the user want to save it, is to avoid the question in the future.

I suggested this some time ago, but nobody responded.

Note that allowing saves for risky local variables is practically
equivalent to eliminating the concept of risky local variables.  If
Emacs allows saves for any variable not considered safe, the
`risky-local-variable' property has no special effect (as far as the