Re: python-mode: keep mark when shifting [patch]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: python-mode: keep mark when shifting [patch]
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:12:10 +0000

On 10 Mar 2006, at 20:40, Henrik Enberg wrote:

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

The patch below fixed a behavior of python-mode that I've found
somewhat annoying: it deactivates the mark whenever you do C-c < or C-
c > to shift a block to the left or right. Because one commonly needs
to do this several times in a row (checking visually in between),
it's very unhelpful if the mark gets deactivated.

Since other indent commands that works on a region in Emacs deactivate
the mark, wouldn't this be a bit surprising?

I agree, as long as we are talking about manual indent commands, which are often applied repeatedly.
(fill-paragraph, for example, can deactivate the mark of course.)

The ideal situation in my view would be a default indent command which is modified by the major mode if necessary. That way, I wouldn't have to learn different key bindings for indent commands for programming in Perl and Python.
This command can then ensure that the mark does not get deactivated.