Re: cursor-type as bar

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: cursor-type as bar
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:06:43 +0200

> I would like to use a bar cursor, instead of a block cursor.
> (setq default-frame-alist '((cursor-type . (bar . 2))))

I use the same cursor type and have the same problem.

> The problem is, that the bar cursor is drawn like a block cursor, only
> using a smaller width.

Actually, the way currently the bar cursor is drawn is worse than drawing
the block cursor.  The block cursor inverts the colors of the underlying
character, but the bar cursor partially or completely overlaps it.

> To really be usable, the bar cursor should be drawn *between* the
> characters, e.g. shifting it width/2 pixels to the left.

I agree this would be much better, but what to do if the distance between
the characters in pixels is less than the width of the bar cursor?
It seems overlapping is unavoidable.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/