Re: locate-with-filter

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:41:55 +0200

> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:55:15 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>    This is a small step in the wrong direction, so please don't do it.
>
> The problem with `locate' in the docstring of `locate' is that it
> creates a confusing self-referential link.  The problem with `locate'
> to refer to the executable program of that name is that it creates a
> link to the _Emacs_ command locate, creating even more confusion.

The style of quotes around "locate" is a separate issue.  What I meant
to say was that the doc strings should make it clear when they talk
about an executable program `locate' and when about an Emacs command
`locate'.

>   (defcustom locate-update-command "updatedb"
> !   "The executable command used to update the locate database."
>     :type 'string
>     :group 'locate)

I think "executable command" is not clear enough.  How about "program"
or "executable program"?

>   (defun locate (search-string &optional filter)
> !   "Run a \"locate\" type program, putting results in `*Locate*' buffer.

I like this.  Thanks.