Re: locate-with-filter

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:09:48 -0500

    That is not as easy as it sounds.  There appear to be _very_ different
    versions of locate, even of GNU locate, around.

Could you check what the current version does?
We can document that, then say that some versions of `locate'
behave differently.

Anyway, the syntax of regexps is just a detail in the overall framework
of what the command does.

      The Info documentation I have installed says that locate
    treats SEARCH-STRING as a shell pattern.  The man page says that it
    treats it as a literal string, but that it has an option to treat it
    as a POSIX regular expression instead.  The actual behavior matches
    the man page.

Would you please report this bug?

      Many operating systems, even UNIX style ones, have, by
    default, no locate program installed at all.

Then the command will get an error, and the user, seeing the note
at the end saying this uses the `locate' program, will understand why.

Your changes are an improvement overall, but let's not change the way
we refer to a program, and I don't think we should refer to man pages
as the primary documentation, and I would like to describe the general
purpose of the `locate' command before mentioning the details that vary.