Re: pure storage overflow with DENABLE_CHECKING

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: pure storage overflow with DENABLE_CHECKING
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:04:12 -0500

I just noticed that when Emacs is compiled with DENABLE_CHECKING, the
following warning message pops up:

  emacs:0:Pure Lisp storage overflow (approx. 1338624 bytes needed)
  8912 pure bytes used

(There is no problem if one compiles without DENABLE_CHECKING).

That's a bit surprising ... I wasn't aware that ENABLE_CHECKING controlled any code that would influence the amount of pure lisp storage used. It mainly enables the assertion checks done in the XCONS/XSTRING/XSYMBOL/etc macros and elsewhere. In fact, I'd argue that if ENABLE_CHECKING is changing the amount of pure Lisp storage used, it's probably a bug.

Ken