Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:37:48 +0000

On 17 Mar 2006, at 11:33, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

+(defun message-send-mail-function ()
+ "Return suitable value for the variable `message-send-mail- function'."
+  (cond ((and sendmail-program
+             (executable-find program))
+        'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
+       ((and (locate-library "mailclient")
+             window-system
+             (memq system-type '(darwin windows-nt)))
+        'message-send-mail-with-mailclient)
+        'message-smtpmail-send-it)))

Why would you need to test that window-system is non-nil?  Perhaps I'm
missing something, but I don't see anything in mailclient.el that
would require an Emacs windowed display.  Can you explain?

For that matter, why the test for system-type?  Won't it work on other
systems as well?

It works fine from a shell (without a window-system) and on other systems (as long as the defined mail client, i.e. mailto:// URL handler doesn't require one). That is, provided the function `message-send-mail-function' is only used to initialize the variable of the same name. The default should be `mailclient' only on specific systems - at least on Windows and probably on the Mac as well. Reiner should know more.