Re: Compilation Helper

From: Daniel 'NebuchadnezzaR' Dehennin
Subject: Re: Compilation Helper
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:42:37 +0100

Le 4580 Septembre 1993, Nick Roberts a tapoté:
>  > Following the great DVC development,
>
> What is DVC?

Distributed Version Control, an evolution of Xtla with more tools
supported (bzr, mercurial, darcs): http://wiki.gnuarch.org/xtla#DVC

>  >                                      I made some adaptations to the
>  > dgnushack.el, for now it's called package-maint.el, if you have a
>  > better ideas for the name, thanks to submit... ;-)
>
> What does dgnushack.el do?

dgnushack.el handle autoloads generation and byte-compilation of Gnus.

>  > The goal is to make it more general, it can group some common tricks
>  > for GNU Emacs vs. XEmacs and specificities about versions.
>
> How does this relate to Emacs development?

Such tool may be integrated to Emacs to help package maintainer, it
simplify packages Makefiles and permit code reuse, it can handle well
know tricks for version compatibilities GNU Emacs vs. XEmacs.

>  > A package maintainer must provide a package-specific helper wich
>  > require package-maint.el and set the package-maint-pkg variable which
>  > is the actual package name, it's used for autoloads.
>
> You've lost me.

I'm really sorry, I'll try to do better:

In DVC we had static build dependencies in Makefiles.

Now, we provide a dvc-build.el which define the package name and
require package-maint.

So in Makfile we can call package-maint-make-{cus,auto}-load and
package-maint-compile.

It avoids complex rules in Makefile, dependencies are automatically
resolved, and when some files are changed, it clean their .elc files
and .elc files which depends on previous...

Hope it's better, I don't want to make you waste your time ;-).

Regards.
--
Daniel 'NebuchadnezzaR' Dehennin
Récupérer ma clef GPG: