Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:00:03 +0100

On 3/18/06, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm very sorry if I did sound ungreatful.

No, don't worry. What I meant is that my message tried to be helpful,
because I thought you already had the whole thing set up.

> I believe you.  I haven't had time to study them myself -- my
> interest is _not_ building Emacs on W32.  But if we expect people
> to be able to do it, the instructions really need improvement
> or at least a pointer to where you can find better instructions
> (even if the link is broken later on, the user will know that such
> instructions exist, and may search for them).

I think nt/INSTALL should be gradually refined. It already has a lot
of good stuff; what it is not, however, is a step-by-step guide. So at
this moment, anyone wanting to build on Emacs has to be brave, and
willing to invest a bit of time and also be able to track things down
by h(im|er)self. I have a little experience building on Emacs, and yet
I find so cumbersome setting up the building environment that I've
resorted to having everything needed on a build/ directory (tools,
.BAT scripts I use, etc.) so I just  zip it and move it to new
machines...

> That pointer should be in nt/INSTALL too.

Truth be told, I don't remember where did I get makeinfo, only that
Eli pointed it to me, and since then I've had it all zipped and moved
'round :(

> It seems other are already doing that -- with varying frequency (and
> stability).

Yes. I had forgotten about Lennart's page. My fault.

BTW, if you have extra free time ;-) you could take a look at the
"100% CPU on socket select" problem... :-)

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u