Re: locate-with-filter

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:16:51 -0600 (CST)

Nick Roberts wrote:

   I don't find that I invoke help-follow accidentally, so why remove
   this functionality?

Because it effectively disables features that allow the author of a
docstring to prevent false links from being made.  Without the current
`help-follow' feature, I could precede references to the symbol or
program `locate' with the words `symbol' or (after Richard's patch)
`program' to avoid creating the impression of encouraging people to
take a look at the docstring of the Emacs function `locate' for a more
thorough understanding of what I am explaining.  With the current
`help-follow' feature, doing so is effectively meaningless.

   I don't like this change because the current behaviour is useful for links
   that aren't explicitly presented in the doc string/value.

You can always do `C-h v' or `C-h f" to get the docs of something that
the author did not intend as a link.  If I use the expression
"the program `locate'" in a docstring, thereby deliberately disabling
the link to prevent confusion with the Emacs function, and you want to
read the doc of that Emacs function anyway, for unrelated reasons, you
can always do `C-h f'.

Sincerely,

Luc.