Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 01:46:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
>> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:49:09 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Would someone like to work on a simple, step-by-step
>> guide for building this
>
> I now added to nt/INSTALL a short section with concise instructions
> for the impatient.

Excellent!

>                     I don't think it would have solved your problems,
> since what I added still assumes a working development environment,
> which you didn't have.

Right.

> Please take a look and give any critique you have.

>> using ONE tool-kit (e.g. MinGW), tell _exactly_ where to find the
>> right versions of those tools, libaries, etc. it would be nice.
>
> I don't think we can single out only one toolkit.  We cannot dictate
> people what compiler and development tools to use, as they might have
> goals other than just building Emacs.

Sure.  But I still think it would be good to show how to setup at
least one such environment -- also for the benefit of having an
environment which works _with_ emacs once it is running (e.g. having
"compatible" diff, grep, and find programs.)

> Lennart's site (cited in nt/INSTALL) has detailed instructions on
> where to find auxiliary tools and libraries that are not part of the
> development environment (i.e. compiler, linker, etc.).

That is good.  Perhaps we could move that link to the place where
you specify that "you need a working development environment".

> If people who routinely build Emacs would list here where they get the
> basic and auxiliary tools and libraries, I might find time to add a
> list to nt/INSTALL that would summarize everybody's experience and
> suggestions.

That would be good.