Re: Suboptimal documentation of and handling of the 'fontified text prop

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suboptimal documentation of and handling of the 'fontified text property.
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:45:29 -0500

> It Would Be Nice for random.el to be able to test this property to see
> whether the font-locking is up to date.

I disagree.  Actuallt I suspect that what is needed instead is a new
function `font-lock-ensure-fontified'.  It could be based on:

(defun ps-print-ensure-fontified (start end)
  (cond ((and (boundp 'jit-lock-mode) (symbol-value 'jit-lock-mode))
         (ps-jitify start end))
        ((and (boundp 'lazy-lock-mode) (symbol-value 'lazy-lock-mode))
         (ps-lazify start end))))

> (iii) State that 'fontified is meaningful at all times, and set and clear
> it when no support-mode is enabled, and clear it totally when font-lock
> is disabled.

I'd rather keep this property as something used internally in jit-lock and
that nobody else should use or look at (unless they're reimplementing some
kind of alternative to jit-lock).

        Stefan