Missing APIs for keymaps...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Missing APIs for keymaps...
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:15:39 +0100

Hi,

I was trying to figure out a good way to augment

mouse-on-link-p

in mouse.el to also work on images in overlays with a keymap and a
display property of an image.  Uh, tough.  We can presumably get the
image with posn-object.  But I don't see any way to get from there to
the keymap at that position.

Shouldn't we have something like posn-keymap for looking up the keymap
valid at some position?  What if there are several sparse keymaps in
succession (local keymap, overriding map, image map, hot spot map)?

Or maybe something like posn-key-binding which will do the lookup
through all relevant keymaps at posn?

At the current point of time it does not seem like one can get a
handle on this kind of functionality, even though Emacs has it
internally available somewhere.