Re: address@hidden: Re: set-frame-position fails]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: set-frame-position fails]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:11:52 -0500

> Would someone please debug this and ack?
>
> From: Nick Patavalis <address@hidden>
>
> Even when I set the "user-position" frame parameter, I still cannot
> move the frame, and have it "stay" at the new position. All the
> following fail in the same manner:
>
>   (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame)
>                            '((top . 10)
>                              (left . 100)
>                              (user-position . t)))
>
>   (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 10 100)

I can reproduce this with Gnome's default window manager, Metacity.
With the Blackbox window manager, it works fine.  My suspicion is that
Metacity is trying to be clever, and failing.

(For reference: the original bug report is that if you move the frame
(X window) with the mouse, then try to use set-frame-position to move
it elsewhere, Metacity immediately moves the frame back to the first
position.)