Re: locate-with-filter

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:02:02 -0500

    While grepping, I noticed problems with `list-faces-display' and
    `list-character-sets'.  These say: "Use <mouse-2> or M-x help-follow"
    in their introductory text, even though `M-x help-follow' is bound to
    RET in these buffers.

How about making them use help-follow-symbol instead of help-follow?
Wouldn't that make them work right?

    It might actually be good to make `M-x help-follow' work correctly on
    references again, by restoring part of the old `help-follow-mouse' and
    `help-follow' code.  This would allow binding them to other keys than
    mouse-{1,2} or RET.  The patch to help-mode.el below does that.
    It entirely keeps the new behavior.  The only difference is that
    `M-x help-follow' would once again work on cross references and that
    it could be rebound.

I do not understand this proposal at all.  help-follow now does
exactly the right thing for help buffers: it has a useful doc string
but it always gets an error.  I don't see why we should change that.
If some other mode wants a different command, make a different command
for it.

So why not use help-follow-symbol?