Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:43:28 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> It hard to see the breakpoint icon when its under the overlay arrow or the
> hollow overlay arrow over the breakpoint icon because of their small size.

I don't find it hard to see (my fringes are 9 pixels wide).

> Does the default overlay arrow shape/breakpoint icon have to be only eight
> pixels wide?

The default minimum fringe width is 8 pixels, so the default icons should not
be wider than that.

>               The default left fringe width is 10 for me, but perhaps that
> is due to the font size I'm using (-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120...).

Yes, combined fringe width (left+rigth) must be a whole multiple of
the font's nominal character width.

> Its slightly easier to see both breakpoint icon and overlay arrow when the
> the breakpoint icon is square.  Is there any reason for not having a square
> breakpoint icon?

I like a round breakpoint icon -- I think that's what people are used to.

> I also think it helps to use grey60 for the disabled face all the time.
>
> Are there any other tricks to make the icons easier to see when they are
> coincident?

I think this is a personal preference -- anybody can redefine the overlay arrow
and breakpoint icons.