Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: Re: Display feature request: gud-overlay-arrow
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:15:25 -0500

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:43:28 +0100, you wrote:

>I like a round breakpoint icon -- I think that's what people are used to.

Let us look beyond program debuggers to more universal icons.  Just think of
every cassette player, cd player, vcr, etc for the past 2 decades.  A
pair of vertical bar is universally recognized as "pause" and a solid square as
"stop".  Thus I would have no trouble adapting to a square signifying
the presence of a breakpoint, especially if it remained visually prominent when
overlaid by an arrow.  And I suspect that I would not be alone.

Further, in my experience, many of the open/free software "round" breakpoint
icons I have seen have been ugly blotches, leaving me with the impression
of a rather amateurish effort.  I suspect that it might be easier to create an
attractive, polished, professional-looking square than a circle/bullet.

/john