Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:15:59 +0000

On 24 Mar 2006, at 14:29, Reiner Steib wrote:

On Wed, Mar 22 2006, David Reitter wrote:

[ Apparently you message didn't make it to the list (yet) => Not
  trimming the quotes.  Please keep emacs-devel and address@hidden in Cc. ]

Strange thing, it's missing indeed. I did cc it to emacs-devel, but not to address@hidden Oh well.

ELISP> (setq sendmail-program "/foo/bar/baz")
"/foo/bar/baz"
ELISP> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with- sendmail)
message-send-mail-with-sendmail

==> Searching for program: no such file or directory, /foo/bar/baz

Maybe we should caution users appropriately if mailclient is used on
systems where we can't guarantee reliability?

I can't think of a reliable way to check if the application called by
`browse-url' handled the mailto link correctly.

I can't either. I believe `message-send-mail-with-sendmail' is the best default for `message-send-mail-function', unless running on systems where sendmail is not implemented or swallows mail. (OS X 10.4 is supposed to automatically fire up sendmail, according to an Apple developer. I haven't seen this work reliably, so far.)

At least, `mailclient-send-it' could inform the user what it does.

Something like "Delegating [shortened-mailto-stuff] to
`browse-url'...".  Maybe including the value of
`browse-url-browser-function' in the message.  Note that
`browse-url-browser-function' might be a (REGEXP . FUNCTION) list.

These require developer-level knowledge and add to the general information overload. "Browse" never sounds like mailclient.
How about

(message "Delegated message to default mail client.")

But most importantly, we should see if the "Message sent" message can be avoided, since it's plain and simply wrong from the user's perspective.