Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:29:17 -0700

David Reitter wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2006, at 14:29, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 22 2006, David Reitter wrote:
>> I can't think of a reliable way to check if the application called by
>> `browse-url' handled the mailto link correctly.
>
> I can't either. I believe `message-send-mail-with-sendmail' is the  best
> default for `message-send-mail-function', unless running on  systems
> where sendmail is not implemented or swallows mail. (OS X  10.4 is
> supposed to automatically fire up sendmail, according to an  Apple
> developer. I haven't seen this work reliably, so far.)
>
>> At least, `mailclient-send-it' could inform the user what it does.
>>
>> Something like "Delegating [shortened-mailto-stuff] to
>> `browse-url'...".  Maybe including the value of
>> `browse-url-browser-function' in the message.  Note that
>> `browse-url-browser-function' might be a (REGEXP . FUNCTION) list.
>

> These require developer-level knowledge and add to the general
> information overload. "Browse" never sounds like mailclient.

I don't agree.  I expect users to use `C-h v' and `C-h f' when they see
variables and functions explicitly mentioned in an error message (or in
a status message before things go awry).

If the message is prefixed with "mailclient-send-it: " or if
[shortened-mailto-stuff] actually included the "mailto:"; URL scheme, it
should be clear what browse-url is being used for.

> How about
>
> (message "Delegated message to default mail client.")

That tells me... nothing.

> But most importantly, we should see if the "Message sent" message can
> be avoided, since it's plain and simply wrong from the user's perspective.

No, it's just been sent to a different destination than the user
assumes.  :-)

How about "Message dispatched"?

--
Kevin Rodgers