Re: old bootstrap error emerges again

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: old bootstrap error emerges again
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:54:45 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Okay, thanks.  What I need to see now is the value of the argument
> `function' passed to Fdocumentation above.  The following commands
> will do this:
>
>    (gdb) up 1
>    (gdb) pr function
>    (gdb) xtype
>
> (The first of these commands goes up to the frame of Fdocumentation.)
> Then use the appropriate x* command (e.g., xsymbol for symbols etc.),
> according to what xtype prints, to show the value of function.
>
> Please note that, to reproduce what happens during bootstrap, you
> need:
>
>   . Invoke the temporary binary of emacs.exe used by the bootstrap
>     process, not the one produced by a successful build.  This
>     intermediary binary can be found during bootstrap in the bin
>     subdirectory, but it is deleted afterwards.  So you will need to
>     copy it while the bootstrap runs, and that is the binary you
>     should run under GDB.
>
>   . Make sure there's no url-handlers.elc when you run Emacs to
>     compile vc-dav.el or url-dav.el.
>
>   . Make sure there's no DOC or DOC-X in the etc subdirectory.
>
> Also, please tell me what is the value of system-type in the MSYS
> build.
>
> TIA

The strange thing is that the error vanished yesterday on my work PC,
but using the same tools I still get it on my home PC:

Starting program: C:\Users\deyke\emacs-build\work\lisp/../bin/my-emacs.exe -batc
h --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -f batch-byte-compile url/vc-dav.el

Breakpoint 3, get_doc_string (filepos=-2581128, unibyte=0, definition=0)
    at doc.c:196
196             error ("Cannot open doc string file \"%s\"", name);
(gdb) up 1
#1  0x0110da05 in Fdocumentation (function=27819993, raw=27674673) at doc.c:456
456           tem = get_doc_string (doc, 0, 0);
(gdb) print function
$1 = 27819993
(gdb) xtype
Lisp_Symbol
(gdb) xsymbol
$2 = (struct Lisp_Symbol *) 0x1a87fd8
"file-exists-p"
(gdb)

As for your last question, I'm not using MSYS. My setup includes:

english XP Pro SP2
current cygwin
MinGW-3.1.0-1 in PATH before cygwin

If I start the emacs which was built during bootstrap it reports:

system-type
windows-nt

emacs-version
"22.0.50"