Re: Bug in CVS Emacs frame positioning under X

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bug in CVS Emacs frame positioning under X
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:21:41 -0500

    The symptom is that not all of the frames end up positioned at x/y
    coordinates 300/300.  Some frames are positioned at 300+A/300+B, where
    A is the width of the left border drawn by the window manager and B is
    the height of the top border drawn by the window manager.  Some frames
    even end up at 400/400 !

    I think I have a patch to src/xterm.c that may fix this.  I will try
    it and let you know if the patch works.

This resembles a problem that I struggled with about 10 years ago.
It might be the same one.

I found that various cases of window positioning were a little bit
off.  So I would fix the case that failed, and then some other case
started to fail.  Eventually I gave up.

With better records, perhaps I could have determined the pattern of
what failed and what succeeded, and figured out an overall solution.
We should start keeping such records now, in case the patch
which fixes this case breaks another case.