Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: gnus / message-send-mail-with-mailclient [patch]
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:35:47 +0100

On 24 Mar 2006, at 20:29, Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> These require developer-level knowledge and add to the general
> information overload. "Browse" never sounds like mailclient.

I don't agree. I expect users to use `C-h v' and `C-h f' when they see variables and functions explicitly mentioned in an error message (or in
a status message before things go awry).

Part of the problem is that there are no general levels for verbosity (or is there?), and that all messages are shown in the echo area instead of those which are relevant in the functioning case and understandable without detailed knowledge. C-h v and C-h f are fine when you're debugging something. But don't expect people to refer to the documentation just to comprehend a status message, or merely to be able to decide whether the status message indicates success or not.

If the message is prefixed with "mailclient-send-it: " or if
[shortened-mailto-stuff] actually included the "mailto:"; URL scheme, it
should be clear what browse-url is being used for.

> How about
>
> (message "Delegated message to default mail client.")

That tells me... nothing.

It tells ME that the message at hand was handed over to the mail client which is set set up as the default handler for mail.
How about this:

mailclient-send-it: Delegated <...mailto...> to mail client.
Message dispatched.