RE: put-text-property slowness

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: put-text-property slowness
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:39:07 -0800

    When font-lock-support-mode is nil, dired with dired+ takes way
    too long on large directories: on the order of many minutes; if I
    set font-lock-support-mode to 'jit-lock-mode, then it takes less
    than half a second.

    So there's an easy workaround but it wasn't easy to find.  From
    casual profiling, the issue seems to be the thousands of
    `put-text-property' calls in `insert-directory'.

    Steps to reproduce:

    wget http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/dired+.el/download/dired+.el

    [add directory containing dired+.el to load-path]

    emacs -q

    (require 'dired+)
    (setq font-lock-support-mode nil)
    (dired "/usr/bin")

Thanks for the report. I'll look into this.

BTW, dired+ is not part of standard Emacs, so this is the wrong place to
post bugs about it. Please post dired+ bugs here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DiredPlus, or email me directly.
Thanks.