Re: Icon update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:47:31 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> However one of the icon (diropen.xpm) should use the gnome file
>> manager's icon which is named file-manager.png in the sense that dired
>> is the file manger in emacs.  Otherwise emacs tool-bar looks really
>> odd.  Have a look at this.
>
> I'm not trained in the use of toolbars, so could you explain what's odd
> about it?

Hi Stefan, icon sets are designed to look good as a set. Take a quick
look at http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/ to see the vast landscape of
icon sets. It's not visually pleasing to mix and match icons, and
worse, the metaphor can differ between sets as well. Leon is using a
soft and pastelly theme which clashes with the default
gnome-icon-theme from which the diropen/file-manager icon comes.

Jan's patch will ensure that the Emacs icons matches the icon theme
that the user has chosen. I agree with Leon that dired and the file
manager application are equivalent. Unfortunately, I don't see a GTK
file-manager icon so perhaps Jan can speak to how it can be picked up
by the current theme. If it's as easy as renaming diropen to
file-manager, I'm all for it.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD