Re: image file with Chinese file names

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: image file with Chinese file names
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:10:51 -0500

    I found that image.c (and image.el) doesn't pay attention to
    filename encoding.  For instance, when I visit a file
    "À.png", Emacs crashes in png_load() as this:

    0x40346777 in fclose () from /lib/libc.so.6
    (gdb) bt 10

    As an image file name is passed from function to function, I
    don't understand where we should put the interface between
    decoded filename and encoded filename.

I looked at image.c, and I think the right place for encoding is the
end of x_find_image_file.  That is, it should return an encoded name.
That appears correct for all calls to that function, though I could
not perfectly understand all of the callers.

Please try that.  (Please update the comments on x_find_image_file
to say its value has been encoded.)