Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:55:46 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
    I have never seen such a functionality in a *tool-bar*. But buttons
    like these are common in "media players" of all kinds, where the
    buttons are often part of some "cool" or "groovy" GUI. I would not
    expect a tool-bar button to do that, but that's just me.

When Emacs has a media-player mode, we want it to have such buttons.

So, is it better for these buttons to appear in the buffer itself,
or in the tool bar?  Better from a UI standpoint, that is.

If they were in the buffer itself, then they wouldn't depend on which
buffer was selected -- they would always be displayed, so the user could
always click on them, even while working in another buffer.  The tool
bar changes according to which buffer is selected, just like the menu
bar changes, because they are defined as keymaps.

If the buffer happened to display a long playlist, the header line would
be a good place to put the control buttons.

--
Kevin Rodgers