Re: Icon update

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:19:33 +0200

Bill Wohler wrote:

Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:

Bill Wohler wrote:
"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

I've attached some screenshots of these situations.  I think before we
release this we need to find stock items for everything.  In Info mode
there are also icons that don't have any stock definition, so arrows
may look differently.
Since you're more familiar with GTK, can you please suggest a
specific
proposal?
While updating the icons I was thinking of stock_previous,
stock_next,
and stock_up (from GNOME) to replace prev_node, next_node, and up_node
respectively but wasn't sure how folks would respond to that.
Can you link to them?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that.

I meant give an URL where these icons can be seen.

Hmmm, you're right. I see two approaches.

1. Devise a scheme that provides the following icon priorities:

a. Personal icons
b. Theme icons
c. Emacs built-in icons

2. Use the theme as I had proposed. The user personalizes the icon not
  by adding their icons to image-load-path, but rather by adding their
  icons to the GNOME theme. We document this.

I suspect that the latter is more germane to a GNOME user.

Yes. But it would mean having different strategies fro GTK Emacs and Emacs compiled without GTK. Maybe that isn't such a big deal. I suspect users of GTK Emacs would want it to change as the theme changes. If we can agree on Gnome icons, I'm all for it, we can always fall back to builtin icons if those aren't available.

   Jan D.