Re: Getting help for a widget

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Getting help for a widget
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:45:41 -0500

    This is perhaps the main difficulty of working with or even talking about
    widgets (and, so, with Customize too) as either a user or a casual
    developer: understanding what the &address@hidden is going on.

I agree.  I find it very hard to understand that code.

But what does it mean to "get help for a widget"?
It is not clear to me, and maybe there is more than one
kind we need.

    If you press

        C-h k

    on a file you get help for `widget-button-press'. But what does the
    button do?

I don't really follow that, but it seems to be a request
for a better answer to the question, "What happens if i click here"?

That could be useful, and perhaps C-h k ought to make a special
case for the function widget-button-press.  That would not be hard.
But where can it get the useful doc string to display?

Meanwhile, this would not help people who are doing programming with
widgets.  They need a different kind of help.

In other words, it will take some real thought and study to figure out
what "good help for widgets" would mean.  It would be useful for
people to start exploring this now.