Re: emacs rewrite

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: emacs rewrite
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:38:09 +0530

Hello,
 Not sure how serious the emacs development folks are about this.
IMHO, we should be using C++ and PYTHON. Though I prefer structured C
programs, for projects of GNU Emacs scale, it makes it easier to use
an object oriented language like C++. From the little knowledge I have
on PYTHON, I am suggesting it as it is object oriented and is a
functional programing language too. Another tool worth exploring be it
PERL/PYTHON is SWIG (Simplified Wrapper Interface Generator) with
which C/C++ APIs can exposed to PERL/PYTHON (other languages
supported).
 IMO, the language of choice for present times must be driven by the
levels of abstraction it supports so that development is easier
without everyone having to understand the guts of the core
implementation.
 If there is enough steam, I would love to get involved in any way I
can be of help, please take this forward.

with warm regards,
dhruva