Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:29:22 +0100

>     Tool bar buttons. Many have a small arrow (triangle) to the lower
>     right to indicate that more actions are available. Methods of getting
>     to the advanced actions vary, I have seen applications where you the
>     hold down mouse-1, others where you press mouse-3, and others where
>     you click on the small arrow itself. All these methods result in a
>     drop down menu appearing.
>
> This sounds like a very special case.  The triangle is not a member
> of the tool bar, it is a special part of the tool bar mechanism itself.

The triangle is just a visual indicator to tell you that more than
just one action is available.

> In the case where you get the menu by holding down mouse-1 on the
> triangle, what happens when you just click mouse-1 there?

The "default action" for that toolbar button is executed.

As an example of how such a feature is used, the Print icon on the
Emacs tool bar currently runs print-buffer. In the above scenario, it
could drop down a menu when the mouse button was held down for more
than 1 second, offering access to print-region,
ps-print-buffer-with-faces and ps-print-region-with-faces as well.