Re: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 03:34:26 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > Yeah, it would be great if AUCTeX was integrated in emacs, so you
>   > > won't need to install it separately...
>   >
>   > It is still missing copyright assignments for that.  If somebody would
>   > volunteer to invest more time than I currently manage for hunting
>   > people down and asking them, this would be appreciated.  Don't hold
>   > your breath for this to finish, but it is something that deserves
>   > better progress than I have made so far.
>
> Hopefully someone can help you with the copyrights, maybe posting a
> message about this would help.
> Can you say what the status is right now?

The three most fundamental contributors (who have been maintainers at
one time) have all agreed to a copyright assignment, but I've only
secured two: the third does not appear to respond to Email.

> Is the core OK ? (meaning the latex.el, tex*.el files)

Definitely not.  Even when the fundamental contributors will be
secured, there will be dozens of other people who should be rounded
up.  Most of their contributions could be replaced, however, should
the need arise.

> The style/* files are not that crucial, and they could be
> reimplemented if needed.

Possibly.  The newer style files have mostly been done by people with
assignments: we don't accept new contributions without one.

>   > Also I am not sure that the release schedule of Emacs and AUCTeX
>   > are really compatible: not everybody using AUCTeX takes his
>   > Emacs fresh from CVS.
>
> True, but the main problem that I have seen is that a lot of emacs
> users not even aware that AUCTeX exists...

I think the coverage among readers of comp.text.tex is pretty good.
We are also making it reasonably easy for system administrators to
have AUCTeX active by default on their, while individual users can
easily customize it off again for some or all TeX-related modes if
they really want to.  This also helps: most people accept the site
defaults, and having an AUCTeX that can be turned off again (for the
sake of Emacs' default modes) makes activation by default a reasonable
site policy.

> WRT the release schedule, cc-mode and gnus seem to manage separate
> releases and being integrated...

Somewhat.  But it leads to people using old gnus.