Re: what-cursor-position - why not list the line # as well?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: what-cursor-position - why not list the line # as well?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 06:39:43 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:51:05 -0700
>
>     *Shrug* If you need that information frequently, you could write a
>     simple function that puts it into the kill ring, and bind it to some
>     key.
>
> Why "*Shrug*"? Are you upset? I can of course write lots of functions, but
> this is something I proposed adding to an existing Emacs command.  The
> question is, why not?

``Why not'' is never a good question, because if we were guided by it,
we will make Emacs unbearably large and complex.

> Instead of responding to either a) my reasons for making this change or b)
> my reasons why your argument against it is insufficient, you tell me that I
> can always code the functionality myself, for my own use. Do you think that
> reply helps advance the discussion?

It should be obvious from what I said that I think you are asking for
a feature that would be used only very rarely.  Does expressing an
opinion advances a discussion (I always thought it was)?

> Why such teeth-pulling over a simple (probably trivial) proposal?

Please drop the attitude, Drew, it makes it hard to argue with your
suggestions in a rational way.