Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:24:45 -0400

    > In the case where you get the menu by holding down mouse-1 on the
    > triangle, what happens when you just click mouse-1 there?

    The "default action" for that toolbar button is executed.

Now I understand the scenario you are trying to describe.
I did not understand it before.  (I have never seen this.)

    As an example of how such a feature is used, the Print icon on the
    Emacs tool bar currently runs print-buffer. In the above scenario, it
    could drop down a menu when the mouse button was held down for more
    than 1 second, offering access to print-region,
    ps-print-buffer-with-faces and ps-print-region-with-faces as well.

That seems like a natural feature to provide, if someone wants to
implement it.  Not now, though.