AUCTex (was: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: AUCTex (was: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:38:42 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

  > > True, but the main problem that I have seen is that a lot of emacs
  > > users not even aware that AUCTeX exists...
  >
  > I think the coverage among readers of comp.text.tex is pretty good.

That might be true, but readers of comp.text.tex are a small minority
(and probably the most technically astute one) among  TeX users. Well,
sadly newsgroup readers are a small minority in general nowadays. So I
think my original point still stands.

  > We are also making it reasonably easy for system administrators to
  > have AUCTeX active by default on their, while individual users can
  > easily customize it off again for some or all TeX-related modes if
  > they really want to.  This also helps: most people accept the site
  > defaults, and having an AUCTeX that can be turned off again (for the
  > sake of Emacs' default modes) makes activation by default a reasonable
  > site policy.

That is nice. Unfortunately of the 6 sites that I personally know
about, none has AUCTeX installed :-(

Anyway, the main question is: Do AUCTeX maintainers want to integrate
it in Emacs anytime soon? (Or at all?)

IMHO having AUCTeX integrated would be beneficial to both AUCTeX as it
would reach a wider audience, and also to Emacs as it would help users
better manage their tex documents.

I am sure that if there's a strong desire to integrate AUCTeX, you
will get some help.

Thanks

        --dan