Re: Icon update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Icon update
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:04:40 -0700

Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think we'd want to do this. I'll ask what the GNOME usability
> folks what they recommend we use for these functions and report back
> here.

Indeed. Here's a summary:

1. There was a mention that there might be too many icons and that an
   overhaul of the icons might happen someday.

2. Yelp (the GNOME equivalent of the info reader) used the next and
   previous icons as I had suggested, but later removed them as they
   weren't helpful. Note that these were used at the bottom of the
   page with the other navigation icons rather than on the tool bar.

Until a consistent nomenclature and metaphor for structural and
temporal navigation appears from the GTK/GNOME teams, I think it might
be best just to leave these *_node icons as they are for now.

Here are a couple of other thoughts that are worth sharing. The former
seems reasonable, while the second might not be too popular ;-).

1. It would be nice if "M-x info" launched Yelp on GNOME systems.

2. It would be nice if we used Docbook instead of Texinfo.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD