Re: AUCTex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AUCTex
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:53:57 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > Anyway, the main question is: Do AUCTeX maintainers want to
>   > > integrate it in Emacs anytime soon? (Or at all?)
>   >
>   > I answered that question already in the previous post, but you snipped
>   > the reply.  AUCTeX is not going to be integrated into Emacs anytime
>   > soon due to outstanding copyright assignments, and the process of
>   > collecting them is progressing rather slowly.
>
> So what is the way forward for this?
> What can be done to improve the situation?

Basically collecting assignments.

> Would distributing AUCTeX like leim was distributed in previous
> emacs versions help? (i.e. leim distributed separately, but it could
> be unpacked in the emacs source tree and compiled and installed
> together). Just an idea...

AUCTeX is a separate project and works with a variety of Emacsen.  It
is also released more often than every 5 years or so.  I don't think
that at the current point of time there is much room for improvement.
It might be possible to create a tarball for dropping into an Emacs
tree before compiling and autoload generation (which is somewhat
similar to what we do to create an XEmacs package).  But I don't see
it change the situation much.