Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:37:27 -0400

    I feel like you are evading my questions.  The original post I replied
    to was about down events, not drag events.  I brought up drag events as
    a similar extension that would be useful in addition.

We were discussing one subject and you brought up another.  I am
keeping these discussions separate, which is the only way I can deal
with them properly.  Please stop mixing them up.

    Why are you against adding the necessary code to allow alternate mouse
    keys, distinguishing between down and up events, and drag events to be
    added?  I can think of multiple reasons why you *might* not want to add
    these events:

    * It'd take too much time and be too complicated to implement.
    * It'd be difficult to integrate into the existing code base.
    * I don't like it; it's not a proven UI style.

All of them.  I don't say it would be "too complicated to implement",
but it would be a little complicated.  I don't say it would be too
difficult to integrate, but it would make things more complex.
The first question is, "do we really need this"?

    * We're trying to get to a release of Emacs 22.

That's not a factor, because if we do this, it will certainly be after
the release.