Re: Additional safe-local-variables (was: turn off safe-local-variable-v

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Additional safe-local-variables (was: turn off safe-local-variable-values checking)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:51:20 -0400

    Maybe it would make sense to introduce `string-or-null-p' to avoid
    using (lambda (a) (or (stringp a) (null a))) in the autoloads.

Please do.

    BTW, wouldn't it be possible to integrate the safe-local-variable
    properties into defcustom?

Yes, I think we should.  We can have a keyword :safe whose value can
be either t (all values permitted by the custom type are safe) or a
predicate.  When it is t, I think Emacs should really check that the
local value fits the custom type.

However, one inconvenience in using this is that safety specified
in this way will only work once the defcustom is loaded.  For minor modes,
we will still need to do it differently (such as with a `put' call
in an autoload cookie).