Re: gdb-ui bogosity with conditional breakpoints

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gdb-ui bogosity with conditional breakpoints
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:29:56 +0900

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
> You don't say what your condition was, but my crystal ball (which can't see
> as clearly as Stefan's) says that it calls a function e.g

Yes I think you're right (it's a C++ inline method, but I presume as far
as Gdb's concerned, it's a function).

> It might be a bit quicker if you use GDB 6.4 as this version doesn't spew
> out so many annotations for level 3.

(yes that's what I'm using)

>  > Is there anyway to disable this behavior?  If so, I think it should be
>  > the default -- the icon and mode-line flashing is not particularly
>  > useful, and the annoyance level is fairly high.
>
> If my diagnosis is correct then I think the answer is no, without delving into
> GDB to stop the erroneous starting and stopped annotations from being
> generated.  I don't plan to do that because a) annotations are being
> deprecated and b) while setting a condition on a breakpoint with a function is
> perfectly reasonable, it's probably not done that often.

Fair enough.

Anyway, just knowing that the problem is with using functions is enough
that I can try to avoid doing so in the future.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi