Re: gpg-agent support removed?!

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: gpg-agent support removed?!
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:14:10 +0200

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> And why was it done without any discussion or even informing the
> people involved?!?

Since PGG is historically a Gnus package, it was discussed on the ding
mailing-list, which you obviously don't read...  :-)

The relevant sub-thread starts here:

The reasons why this was done are:

1) The new code has bugs and is a major rewrite from previous versions;
   it isn't yet very stable, at least not enough for a stable Gnus
   release.

2) A new Gnus v5.10 release is due out this week-end, so there wasn't
   enough time to fix the bugs in the new code, hence the decision to
   revert it in Gnus 5.10.  Since Emacs 22 is supposed to have Gnus
   5.10, I reverted the changes in Emacs CVS in order to keep the
   upcoming Gnus release and Emacs in sync.

3) The changes broke allout.el's encryption features, and require a
   transition to ensure that allout and PGG can work correctly together
   without breakage.

4) We're trying to get Emacs to a releasable state, and introducing new
   features right now might not be the best idea, depending on how
   seriously you take the feature freeze.

At the moment, the plan is to let the new code mature in the Gnus trunk
(not the Emacs trunk), and then sync it back in Gnus' v5-10 branch and
the Emacs trunk once things have settled down.  I realize that part of
the problem is that PGG is maintained as a Gnus package in Gnus, and as
a general-purpose package in Emacs...

Hoping this clarifies the situation,

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open