Re: Fkill_emacs NO_RETURN

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fkill_emacs NO_RETURN
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:25:45 -0400

I deleted the NO_RETURN for Fkill_emacs to avoid hassles.

    Marking functions NO_RETURN is desirable from a few points of view:
     -it helps gcc do a better job for the -Wuninitialized warning

Surely Fkill_emacs makes no difference to this.

     -it helps lint type tools, it will avoid analyzing the same code over
     and over when a new tool warns about it only to discover there's no
     problem.

Not terribly important.

     -it helps code generation: for example by just marking
     `wrong_type_argument' as NO_RETURN the text size decreases from
      1483168 bytes to 1474080 bytes (ie ~9KB) on my x86 system using
      gcc-4.1

That may be significant for wrong_type_argument, but not for Fkill_emacs.

Perhaps it is worth adding the NO_RETURN for wrong_type_argument.
It is called a lot more than Fkill_emacs.