Re: before-change-functions called twice at yank

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: before-change-functions called twice at yank
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:58:26 +0200

Do emacs -q and evaluate

(progn
  (add-hook 'before-change-functions
            (lambda (b e)
              (message "before-change: '%s'" (buffer-substring b e))) nil t)
  (add-hook 'after-change-functions
            (lambda (b e l)
              (message "after-change: '%s'" (buffer-substring b e))) nil t))

in the *scratch* buffer. If you press the letter a, the message buffer
will get

before-change: ''
after-change: 'a'

as expected. Now yank the string "foo". Then the message buffer gets

before-change: ''
after-change: 'foo'
before-change: 'foo'

This seems as a bug to me. Am I missing something?

Indeed you should see another message from `after-change-functions' like:

before-change: ''
after-change: 'foo'
before-change: 'foo'
after-change: 'foo'

The last two messages are due to `remove-yank-excluded-properties' which
removes `yank-excluded-properties' from the string inserted.  You can
avoid running the hooks either by doing

  (let ((inhibit-read-only t)
        (inhibit-modification-hooks t))

in `remove-yank-excluded-properties' directly or by wrapping the calls to
`remove-yank-excluded-properties' in `insert-for-yank-1' (and possibly
`insert-buffer-substring-as-yank') as

  (let ((inhibit-modification-hooks t))
     (remove-yank-excluded-properties opoint (point)))