Re: use of (defvar <foo>)

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: use of (defvar <foo>)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:06:55 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Huh?  You don't want it compiled -- that's the point.

[Actually, I meant the code rather than the eval result.]

> By "compiled" I only mean that it goes through the byte-compiler (before
> being eval'd).

It goes through the compiler _after_ being evalled, by definition.

> If the content of eval-when-compile were not compiled, then
> (eval-when-compile (defvar foo)) would be 100% equivalent to a nop.

But it isn't compiled as such.

> Compiling the content of eval-when-compile before eval'ing doesn't
> remove/hide any bug AFAIK, quite the opposite.

Doing that would be a bug.

If the effect of the defvar on load-history has been redefined as a
bug, the eval-when-compile wrapper does avoid a bug, and I don't see
how it could reasonably be harmful in a future Emacs.  CL's
`(declare (special ...))' often is cleaner, though.