Re: vc-annotate error, PATCH

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: vc-annotate error, PATCH
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:02:13 -0700

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:34:20 -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

>   > I could envision just using all the TTY
>   > colors except the background color, in the order they are presented
>   > from red to blue (now all but magenta are used).  May be more trouble
>   > than it's worth.
>
> If you change anything, please don't change it based on the display
> being a TTY, but on the number of colors the TTY supports (see
> display-color-cells and the min-color attribute for defface).
>
> Your patch works very well on terminals that support 256 colors.
> (Of the terminals in wide use only the Linux console and KDE's konsole
> do not support 256 colors. xterm, rxvt, Gnome terminal and putty
> support 256 colors.)

OK, thanks.  The screen shot was from Gnome-terminal.  I can't seem to
enable 256 color support, and display-color-cells is 8.  Must be a
compile-time option which isn't commonly used.  Can you send me your
(tty-color-alist) output from such a terminal offline?

I have a patch now that just sorts the non-white and non-black colors
in a TTY to put red first, blue last, and whatever in between, and
make that the colormap.  I could enable this if on a TTY and
display-color-cells<=8.  It would not be the same "color theme" but it
would have much better dynamic range and color usage for 8 color TTYs.
Further thoughts welcome.

JD