Re: off by 1 error for hscroll

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: off by 1 error for hscroll
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:13:07 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Doing emacs -Q
> M-: (setq hscroll-margin 1 hscroll-step 1) RET
> C-x 3
>
> then type some text so that it exceeds the line length.
>
> Doing C-f and C-b allows the cursor to get to 1 character off the
> right margin, but to 2 characters off the left margin before scrolling
> horizontally.

Try the recipe after doing

    M-: (setq cursor-type '(bar . 1)) RET

Then you see that there are 2 characters in the scroll margin both to the
right and left.

OTOH, if you use the block cursor, you see the "odd result" you reported.
But I don't think the "visible difference" is a bug.

However, it may be argued that setting the margin to 1 gives a 2-char
margin is a bug -- however, then you really don't see any right margin
with the block cursor...

I really don't know how to "fix" this, so I suggest to leave it as is.