Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:44:12 -0400

Karl> Perl-mode mis-indents this:

> All the cool-cats I know have completely abandoned perl-mode
> for cperl-mode long ago.   Is there any way we can just make
> that the default instead?

The reason why cperl-mode wasn't made the default when it got integrated
(AFAIK) was that it had several misbehaviors w.r.t conventions and that the
original author wasn't interested in fixing them and nobody
else volunteered.

By now, perl-mode has caught up with some of cperl-mode's features and has
even added some of its own, while perl-mode's odd aspects haven't really
ben addressed (tho, at least, you can now use both perl-mode and cperl-mode
in the same Emacs, without one stepping on the other's toes).

        Stefan "the closest there is to a maintainer of `perl-mode'"